School Counselor of the Year Announced!
ISCA is happy to announce that Lauren Alspaugh has received the Indiana School Counselor of the Year Award. Read the official press release from ASCA. Congratulations Lauren!
Congratulations to Julie Hill! She was awarded the ACTE Region 3 Career School Counseling Award in Chicago. Julie will now go to the ACTE National Conference.
Welcome to the Indiana School Counselor Association!
The mission of the Indiana School Counselor Association is to support school counselors as they advance the academic, career, and social/emotional development of all students.
Indiana (Response to potentially canceling classes inquiry):
Unfortunately, I think at this time we have more questions than we actually have answers due to the ever-changing information on COVID-19.
Below are some resources that address a few of your questions:
Virtual school counseling.
Ethics on virtual counseling - page 6:
ASCA position statement on virtual school counseling:
Based on others experience in the School Districts as a virtual school counselor:
* Use the platforms that are approved by your district (Schoology, google classrooms, etc.). Does your school have a platform for meeting virtually face to face (google chat, zoom, etc.) - use the system approved and provided by your district.
* If you have google, talk to your administration about creating google voice phone numbers for counselors. These are then the property of the school district and maintain personal/professional separation.
* Establish set office hours and stick to them, communicate them frequently and often (include how to access crisis support if needed in autoresponders).
* Determine the frequency of contacts through the end of the year based on your current calendar
* Consider the impact of closure and support needed for students needing access to services provided by your school (AP testing, ACT retakes, etc.).
* Establish online systems for things that may have typically been done in person or via your office (transcripts, summer school registration, etc.)
* Create protocols and systems for students who are not engaging in online course work. Who is responsible for contacting the student and family (teacher, counselor, dean, case manager, etc.) This type of learning is not for everyone and some of your students will struggle. How will this be monitored, will students fail classes, get incompletes, WD's?
* If you have any student-athletes looking at playing college-level athletics are there any possible implications for approved courses?
DPI Coronavirus Resources:
ASCA resources on Coronovirus:
2020-2023 Board of Director Results
The Indiana School Counselor Association is happy to announce the results of the 2020-2023 ISCA Board of Directors election.
Your newly elected board members are Jennifer Dodson, Lauren Alspaugh, and Amanda Schwyn!
ISCA commends its incoming board members and all candidates who sought to contribute to the profession through service on the ISCA Board of Directors
We’re excited to introduce the first ever Indiana School Counselor and Administrator Collaborative Institute, hosted by Ball State University with event management support provided by National Center for Youth Issues. This new, creative event is June 14-15, 2020, at the Embassy Suites by Hilton Noblesville Indianapolis Conference Center. The Institute is geared towards strengthening the school counselor & administrator relationship. This will be a great opportunity to learn, network, and come together for student success! School counselors and administrators from the same school are encouraged to attend together!
Calling all Presenters! The Indiana School Counselor and Administrator Collaboration Institute is soliciting proposals for presentations promoting critical inquiry and solutions in PK-12 schools to better address students’ social, emotional, academic, and career needs. More specifically, the ISCACI invites in-service and preservice professionals in areas of school counseling and educational leadership to submit a proposal in the domains of student success, college and career readiness, community engagement, educational equity, principal/counselor roles and relationships. If your session is selected, your registration fee to the Institute is waived! Click here to submit a proposal.
You can already register!
Five Easy Ways to Register:
National Center for Youth Issues ISCACI Conference
PO Box 22185 Chattanooga, TN 37422-2185
The Noblesville Embassy Suites has rooms available in our conference block. Make sure to reserve your room by May 25, 2020. Find more information about hotel accommodations and on making reservations here.
We’re looking forward to seeing you there!
Thank You to our 2019 Conference Sponsors
Advocacy - ISCA Responds
ISCA's Response to Chamber Study - Click Here to read
The Indiana School Counselor is the official publication of the Indiana School Counselor Association and is published in partnership with the American School Counselor Association.
Click below to read the latest edition!
Indiana License Plates
The Indiana Department of Education has had a specialty license plate for about twenty years... but not everyone knows how to order one or who benefits from the money raised by the sales of the plates.
Twenty-five percent (25%) of the money goes to the Department of Education to administer the school intervention and career counseling development program which funds grants for hiring new elementary school counselors.
For more information, click on the Press Release to find out how you can get yours!